5 Ways I Deal with Anxiety
- Blow off some steam. If something happens that sets me off, you will usually find me sweating it out in a dance class. I'm not a fan of working out, but I come from a dancing background and throwing myself into a lyrical, jazz, or ballet class always takes my mind off stressful things and it doubles as great exercise. Now for you, this may mean anything from a long run at a nearby park, a dance party in your room, going to the shooting range, or even getting a group together for karaoke. Instead of sitting at home to worry, go out and do something that burns that excess energy.
- Find your sounding board. It is so important for me to surround myself with supportive friends and family. When I can't keep anxiety to myself, I confide in one of my nearest and dearest. I also pray a lot. Who is your sounding board? Friends? Your local barista? Family? Your therapist? God? Find someone willing and excited to listen and spill!
- Cut down on caffeine. This may not apply to everyone, but when I'm anxious I try not to drink too much coffee because that extra caffeine just makes me antsy and jumpy. Instead, I drink as much water as I can stand and maybe a little bit of green tea.
- Snuggle. Seriously! There's a reason that organizations take "Comfort Dogs" to visit hospitals and disaster sites. Snuggling a dog just makes you feel better. I volunteer at a cat shelter called Good Mews and when I'm down I go to the kitten room and hang out for a while. It does wonders for my mood! This is not limited to animals, go find your favorite person and snuggle them like crazy.
- Recharge. Sometimes these temporary fixes won't cut it and you need to escape for a little while. If that is the case, go on vacation! Even a long weekend can do wonders for your state of mind.
I am taking my own advise and going on a beach trip with these two lovely ladies below. Abby and Ellie are two of the best people I know. I'm coming for you St. Pete!