5 Things That Make Christmas the Best
- The build-up. As soon as Thanksgiving Day comes to a close, I immediately switch gears into Christmas-mode (much like this person). My mind is on decorations (see above), gift-wrapping, new recipes, shopping, vacation, and fellowship. There's an infectious buzz in the air that everyone who celebrates the holiday is affected by. It's just happy!
- Christmas movies. ELF. A Muppet Christmas Carol. Christmas Vacation. A Christmas Story. Scrooge. It's A Wonderful Life. A Child's Christmas in Wales. Watching these movies is like visiting an old friend that you only get to see once a year.
- Food. Food at Christmas time is such a ritual in my house. I come from a long line of home cooks that have passed down recipes through the years that pop up every Yuletide Season. We plan on our holiday meals with more care than our holiday shopping.
- Christmas Eve. The night before Christmas is probably my favorite day of the year. In my little family (mom, dad, and bro) it has become steeped with tradition. Every 24th of December we wake up and go on a Bacchanalian shopping spree at Whole Foods to pick up cheese, sausages, bread, date cakes, wine, coffee, escargot, oysters, and other delicious treats. We then get gussied up for the candlelight service at Church of the Apostles (my favorite Christmas Eve service in town) where we are treated to wonderful music, a sermon from Dr. Youssef, whispered greetings to friends and family sitting a few pews over, and the reverent singing of Silent Night by the light of hundreds of taper candles. Finally, we rush home for our feast and yearly viewing of A Child's Christmas in Wales and the Christmas episode of All Creature's Great and Small before slipping to bed.
- Togetherness. Besides quality time with family, this season brings long lost friends home from faraway places. It means reconnecting and catching up while sipping champagne in Christmas pj's. It means tacky Christmas sweater parties and cabin weekends in the mountain with old friends. It means exchanging presents and love. Christmas brings people together!
Also, be on the lookout for my 2015 Gift Guide that I'll be releasing soon!